It’s incredible to me how many people still don’t know anything about Etsy. I tell them I sell online with Ebay and Etsy. They are so familiar with Ebay but have no clue what Etsy is. So, here’s some enlightenment for those that need it:
- Etsy is a marketplace where sellers are only allowed to sell in three categories. They are vintage, handmade and supplies. To qualify for vintage items need to be over 20 years old, meaning they must have been made in 1990 or before. Handmade items are required to be handmade by you.
- Etsy is a huge online store full of really amazing sellers. The best part about Etsy is the uniqueness factor. There are things here that you won’t find anywhere else, some you’ll be amazed to find even exist. Sellers pride themselves on top quality pictures which are part of why Etsy shines so brightly.
- Another feature besides buying and selling on Etsy are the treasuries! Treasuries are made by any Etsy user. They are a collection of items generally with some type of theme. Sellers cannot feature themselves in a treasury so it’s a great tool for helping other sellers find more exposure. It also works well for showing people how skilled you are in creating a collection of eye-catching pieces.
- The best part of Etsy I have found are the teams. Teams are very active on Etsy, working together to help each other be successful. This is where Etsy really feels like a community. Sellers are there to help each other critique and improve their shops so the entire marketplace can benefit from sellers that offer amazing value. Teams also help you promote your own items, treasuries or ideas for the marketplace.
I’ve been on Etsy for about 9 months now. They are cheaper than Ebay making their site a good resource for people selling handmade goods, vintage items or craft supplies. Sales are a little slower but prices generally tend to be higher since the perceived value of the site is higher for buyers. 20 cents to list any item at any price sure encourages me to wait for those sales though! The fees are incredibly low too compared to what Ebay now takes.
Let’s all move our vintage, handmade and supplies over to Etsy. This marketplace needs to grow and I’d love to see more buyers/sellers like you participating in it. Send me your questions if you want to know more about Etsy or just go check out http://www.etsy.com!
If you’d like to check out my store front it’s Hippie Chick Finds located here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/JsssikaRabbit?ref=si_shop
- Why you should be on Ebay and Etsy….right now! (resalechick.wordpress.com)
- Etsy Find: Chenhui Su Chair Chair Pad (casasugar.com)
- Etsy Find: Dessert Please Cake Plate (casasugar.com)
- Etsy Finds: Halloween Decorations (casasugar.com)